Ways to Study Abroad

Three Basic Ways to Study

1. Participate in a Virginia Tech faculty-led program

– You register at VT so transfer credit is a non-issue
– You get to network with other VT students and with VT faculty
– Most arrangements are made for you

2. Go to another university for a semester abroad

– Use a VT exchange partner for bi-lateral exchange (pay VT study elsewhere)
– Use a VT international partner to get no degree admission so you can direct-enroll at another university (pay other university)
– Pick any university in the world who will allow you to enroll and take classes as a temporary student (pay other university)

3. Find a third party provider who will organize a short-term program for credit or a semester abroad

– The Green Program – thegreenprogram.com
– IES Abroad – iesabroad.org
– CEA – ceastudyabroad.com
– CIEE – ciee.org
– AIFS – aifsabroad.com
-The Education Abroad Network – https://teanabroad.org/

Research and Service Abroad Basics

1. Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU)

– Organized by the National Science Foundation
– Can be sponsored by VT or another university
– Go here for information: http://www.nsf.gov/crssprgm/reu/

2. Service/Co-Curricular International Program

– VT Engage office handles
– http://vt.edu/community_learning/co_curricular_international.html
-Find student organizations that do international work (i.e. Engineering Without Borders, Bridges to Prosperity, Students Without Borders, SEAC, etc)

3. Some partner universities for VT offer research abroad opportunities for our students. Ask Global Education for more information.